Wednesday, February 25, 2015

The New York Time Machine


Every time I make a good map I soon find out that someone has done it better. Recently I've spent a lot of time creating vintage map browsers with the Leaflet mapping library. I used the New York Public Library's map collection to put together a map of New York Vintage Maps. I then used the amazing David Rumsey Map Collection to create a map of San Francisco Vintage Maps.

Well it turns out that Vestiges of New York has created a better collection of New York vintage maps, using vintage maps from both the NYPL and the David Rumsey collection of historical maps. Their NYC Time Machine is very similar to my map, except it has far more vintage maps of New York maps for you to browse through.

The NYC Time Machine includes 27 vintage maps of New York, ranging in date from 1660 to 1924. The map includes a neat option to quickly switch between your chosen vintage map and a modern map, allowing you to compare the vintage map to the modern streets of New York.

No comments: